The initial session of an occasional series aimed at improving knowledge and understanding of beekeeping was held on Wednesday 2nd September 2015 at the Petersfield Community Centre starting at 7:15pm.
This session dealt with the natural history and some aspects of the biology of honey bees. The areas covered were:
- The origin and various races of honey bees with their characteristics.
- The differing external features between the two castes of female and the drones.
- The life cycles of queen, worker and drone.
- The mating of queens.
- Seasonal variations of a colony.
- The function of the exocrine glands that provide the messages that are so important in colony organisation.
Presented by: Brad Davis
Notes: 2015-16 Improvers 1